- Are you struggling with premenstrual syndrome (PMS)?
- Do you have water retention, weight gain and headaches during the latter half of your cycle?
- Do you get oily skin and acne at different times of the month?
- Are you having trouble conceiving?
- Are your periods unusually short or long?
If so, a month long hormone panel may be able to give clues as to why you’re experiencing these challenges.
Your menstrual cycle is regulated by a number of hormones, the main ones being follicle stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, estrogen and progesterone.
Problems with your menstrual cycle can occur for various reasons:
- You don’t produce enough estrogen in the first half of your menstrual cycle, which prevents ovulation.
- You have excessive estrogen relative to progesterone in the second half of your cycle.
- Your progesterone levels are too low in days 15-28 of your cycle.
- You have excessive or deficient testosterone levels.
These important hormone imbalances can result from:
- Stress – stress always beats sex, and your body prefers to make stress hormones in times of stress, rather than sex hormones.
- Chemical contraceptives can decimate your natural hormone balance.
- Eating too many estrogenic foods such as vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, soy and alcohol.
- Being exposed to excessive environmental estrogens in plastics, pesticides and other manmade materials.
- Having poor liver function and/or nutrient deficiencies
I’ve written a lovely little article for you to download on PDF explaining how your menstrual cycle works, as well as how and why it goes wrong.
You might also like to watch this video if you have not already done so.
Taking the month long saliva test
Analyzing your blood over the course of a month would be very difficult from a practical perspective. You’d need a blood draw every second or third day.
However you don’t have this problem when using saliva, as you can provide your sample in the comfort of your own home.
You simply spit into a tube on 17 selected days during your menstrual cycle.
The laboratory analyzes each sample for estradiol (your “strongest” estrogen hormone) and progesterone.
It also analyzes two samples – in mid-cycle – for testosterone.
Here’s a sample report for estradiol and progesterone:
If you have a short cycle (<24 days)
It’s not uncommon for women to have an unusually short menstrual cycle. In these cases, we modify the month long test so it becomes an “almost month long” test.
Here, the lab asks for 11 saliva samples rather than 17, stopping on day 24 of your cycle.
The advantage of this test to a woman with a short cycle is its lower price.
Adrenal and thyroid testing
I always recommend a saliva test to analyze the adrenal stress hormones, cortisol and DHEA alongside the month long test because excess stress and cortisol demand affect your sex hormones.
Thyroid testing (to include a measure of T3 thyroid hormone, which is frequently ignored in the medical system) is also important alongside female hormone tests because T3 is needed for the production of all sex hormones!
Ordering a month long female hormone test
If you are a new customer you must first complete, sign and return the Hompes Method client intake paperwork.
If you are an existing customer and we’ve recommend you run a month long female hormone test, simply click here or fill in the form below to place your order.